Melbourne Grammar School students and Old Melburnians have recently enjoyed success in a variety of sports. Here are some highlights.
Long jumper Henry Frayne (OM 2007) placed sixth at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Year 12 students Winston Hooper, James Houghton, Matthew Porter and Magnus Randall represented Australia as part of the Under 19 Men’s Eight crew at the 2022 World Rowing Junior Championships held in July. The crew won the B Final.
Fergus Hamilton (OM 2017), Jamie Arnold (OM 2019) were also Australian representatives at the regatta. They rowed in the Under 23 Men’s Eight crew which placed third. Harry Fox (OM 2018) raced in the Under 23 Men’s Coxed Four event and placed fifth.
Louis Hooper, Year 6, captained the Victorian Under 12 team to a credible third place at the School Sport Australia 2022 Australian Football Championships. Read more about Louis here.
Year 8 student James Gao was selected into the Victorian Under 14 Volleyball team and was a leading player at the 2022 Australian Youth Volleyball Championships held in September.
Together with Year 12 students, Rupert Edwards and Darcy McKenna, Year 11 student Anaru Whakaari was selected into the 2022 Victorian Schoolboys Rugby Team.
Tainui Whakaari, Year 11, was a member of the Under 15 Victorian Rugby League Team who won the Pool B Final at the Australian Secondary School Rugby League Championships in July.
Boarders Eli Oldfield (Year 9), Regan Smith (Year 10) and Xavier Kaufusi (Year 10) were all members of the Under 16 Victorian team competing at the 2022 National Youth Touch Championships. Cooper Taranto (Year 7) was a member of the Under 14 Victorian team at the same event.
Year 11 student, Ollie Will, was selected to represent Victoria in both the Under 18 and Under 21 hockey teams, placing fourth and second respectively in the national championships. Tom Love, Tom Wilson and Duncan Jackson were also members of the Under 18 Victorian teams.
Duncan Jackson also represented Victoria in the School Sports Victorian Under 16 team that played in Tasmania finishing fifth overall.
The First XI hockey team won their second premiership in as many years in 2022. The team was undefeated for the season once again.
One student, Ollie Will, is understood to be the only student who has ever been a member of two undefeated premiership First teams in the same year – cricket and hockey. You can read more about Ollie’s story here.
Winter Sport First Team Results
Basketball: Equal second
Cross country: Equal seventh
Melbourne Grammar School teams have claimed victory in both the Primary (co-ed) and Secondary (boys) groupings at the Victorian Cross Country Interschools Championships this year.
Our teams also secured first place in the Secondary (boys) grouping and second place in the Primary (co-ed) grouping at the 2022 Victorian Interschools Snowsports Championships.
Both teams went on to place third in the 2022 Australian Interschools Snowsports Championships.
Of special note are the following students who are state and/or national champions in their respective year level based divisions in their own right:
- James Kelly (Year 12) – Giant Slalom
- Will McCarthy (Year 11) – Snowboard X
- Archie Gould (Year 7) – Giant Slalom
- James Kelly, Seb Whiteley (Year 11), Lachlan Houghton (Year 11), Ed Ross (Year 11) – Alpine GS (team)
- James Kelly, Seb Whiteley, Lachlan Houghton – Skier X (team)
- Archie Gould, Harrison Ogilvy (Year 7), Miles Forster (Year 8) – Skier X (team)
- James Kelly – Giant Slalom
- Will McCarthy – Snowboard X, Slopestyle Board
- Thomas MacLennan (Year 8) – Cross Country Classic
- James Kelly, Seb Whiteley, Lachlan Houghton, Ed Ross – Alpine GS (team)
- James Kelly, Lachlan Houghton, Ed Ross – Skier X (team)
- Will McCarthy, Darcy McKenna (Year 12), James Charlton (Year 12) – Snowboard Slopestyle (team)
- Will McCarthy, Oliver Fuller (Year 12), James Charlton – Snowboard Cross (team)
- Luciano Bosci (Year 11), Christian Sallabank (Year 12), Oliver McDonald (Year 12) – Ski Slopestyle (team)
- Jack Lowman, Hugo Hines, Lachlan Jennings (all Year 11) – Classic (team)
- Toby Foreman (Year 9), Alex McConnell (Year 9), Luca Wilson (Year 10) – Relay, Classic (teams)
- Thomas MacLennan, Archie Gould, Harrison Ogilvy- Cross Country Classic (team)
- Thomas MacLennan, Archie Gould, Vincent Liu (Year 7) – Cross Country Relay (team)
- Luca Tyshing (Year 8), Will Castine (Year 8), Ozkar Dastan-Nicholson (Year 7) – Ski Slopestyle (team)
- Archie Gould, Harrison Ogilvy, Gianni Walker (Year 8), Miles Forster – Giant Slalom (team)
- Archie Gould, Harrison Ogilvy, Miles Forster – Skier X (team)
- India Peters, Charlotte Moon, Mila Lardner and Isabelle Mitchell (all Year 4) – Alpine (team)
Melbourne Grammar School played Scotch College in their traditional football match on 11 August 2022. Scotch College won 6.9 (45) to Melbourne Grammar 5.5 (35).